|Jukka Eskola Soul Trio
|CD + LP + digi
Recorded & mixed by Abdissa Assefa at Ambience Studios
Helsinki-based label Timmion Records released Soul Trio, the debut album from one of the top trumpeters of Finnish jazz, Jukka Eskola and his Soul Trio ensemble, in May 2017.
Soul Trio is formed by Eskola, organist Mikko Helevä and Teppo Mäkynen. Their new album combines two EPs released by Grotto Edition and We Jazz in 2016. In addition to these, the album presents two unreleased pieces.
Jukka Eskola Soul Trio’s music is swinging modern jazz at its best, drawing from the tradition of rough soul jazz. Besides the core ensemble, the album features double bassist Ville Herrala, tenor saxophonist Timo Lassy and Swedish flutist Magnus Lindgren. The album mainly consist of compositions written by Eskola and Mäkylä but also skilled interpretations of Duke Pearson’s “Sweet Honey Bee”, Mercer Ellington’s “Jumpin’” and Mondo Cane document film’s theme song “More”.
– Swing is the priority in Soul Trio’s music. It has been the heart of our work since the beginning, the swing and the soulfulness. The strength of this small and tight ensemble is also the versatile use of dynamics; from minimalism to the blare of big orchestra. The model for the band’s sound is from the 60’s, but all decades are present in Soul Trio’s music. I am happy about how all this is heard on the album, but first and foremost about the soulful play of great jazz musicians, Jukka Eskola comments about the new album.
- Martha’s New MomentJ.Eskola, T.Mäkynen
- Hong ThongJ.Eskola
- Sweet Honey Bee D.Pearson
- Railyard BoogieJ.Eskola, T.Mäkynen
- Introducing the Soul TrioJ.Eskola
- Subterranean VariationsT.Mäkynen
- For Anne LeeJ.Eskola, T.Mäkynen
- Soft DropJ.Eskola, T.Mäkynen
- MoreN.Oliviero, R.Ortolani
- Jumpin’ PunkinsM.Ellington